Check out the Tasty One-Stop Shop for cookbooks, aprons, hats, and more at TastyShop.com: http://bit.ly/2mEBY0e
Here is what you’ll need!
Pineapple Upside Down Pancakes With Pineapple Syrup
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1½ teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup sugar
1½ cups milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup butter, plus additional for frying
¼ cup brown sugar
1½ ounces spiced rum, optional
1 20-ounce can pineapple rings with juice (we got about ½ cup of juice once separated from the fruit)
1. To a large mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Mix until thoroughly combined. Create a small well in the middle of the the dry ingredients. Add milk, half of the reserved pineapple juice, ¼ cup melted butter, and vanilla extract. Whisk until ingredients combine to form a lumpy batter. Set aside while you make the pineapple syrup.
2. Add the remaining ¼ cup of butter to small sauce pan over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add brown sugar, the remaining pineapple juice, and rum. Bring ingredients to a boil allowing for the sugar to melt and caramelize. Once mixture is smooth and has the consistency of syrup, remove from heat and set aside.
3. Melt a small amount of butter in a frying pan over medium heat and add a slice of pineapple. Cook pineapple ring until lightly caramelized on one side, about 2 minutes, before flipping it.
4. Once flipped, fill the core of the pineapple with 1-2 maraschino cherries before pouring about ¼ cup of the pancake batter over. Cook until the edges start to set and the top begins to bubble, about 2 minutes, before carefully flipping the pancake–revealing the pineapple underneath. Cook for an additional 90 seconds to 2 minutes until the pancake is cooked through.
5. Store cooked pancakes in a 200˚F (90˚C) oven until ready to serve.
6. Serve pancakes warm with reserved pineapple syrup.
8. Inspired By:
Check us out on Facebook! – facebook.com/buzzfeedtasty
Copa Del Mar
Licensed via Warner Chappell Production Music Inc.